Lynn Mehta – materials list “Painting from Life: Landscape and Florals”
You do not have to purchase special materials for this 3 day workshop if you already have materials of your own! At minimum you will need:
- An outdoor painting easel and set up
- Small sketch book
- Sharpie or thick sketching pencil
- 1-2 small panels (6x6 or 6x8)
- 5-6 medium panels (between 9x12 - 14x18)
- Paints in the medium you will paint in and any necessary supplies you use. ______________________________________________________________________
I have listed below my oil paint supply list - (Important - if you do not need to purchase paints if you already have your own!!!)
- Sketchbook – to take notes and make thumbnail sketches.
- Black Sharpie - fine point, like a crayon thickness, not the extra fine tip
- OR Soft sketching pencil - 4B – 6B Panels:
- Small panels: 6”x6” or 6”x8” for quick exercises OR a 9” x 12” pad of canvas,
- artist tape, board 5-6 medium panels: any size no smaller than 9”x12” but no larger than 14” x18”
- Please bring your preference of gessoed board, primed cotton on board, or primed linen on board. I use Ampersand’s small Gessoboard panels, or Richeson’s gesso board which is slightly less expensive. Centurion has a reasonable selection of linen panels, as does Dick Blick and Utrecht. Whatever kind of panel you want to paint on is fine - does not need to be top of the line!
- Bring a selection of at least 2-3 palette knives – small to large, any assortment of stainless steel heads, including at least one triangular or diamond shaped.
- Bring a selection of filberts, flats, small to large, mostly in the medium range (size 8-12). Optional: a flat oil wash brush, a rigger, and a few rounds.
- Bring a minimum of 2 yellows, 2 reds, 2 blues, a red or orange earth, and a large tube of white.
Do not worry about getting exactly the right brands - anything will work!
- Cadmium Lemon Yellow (Rembrandt)
- Cadmium Medium Yellow (Rembrandt)
- Cadmium Red Light (Holbein)
- Alizarin Crimson (Gamblin)
- AND/OR Quinacridone Red (Rembrandt)
- Ultramarine Blue (Gamblin) Manganese Blue (Rembrandt)
- Transparent Red or Orange Oxide (Rembrandt) Titanium,
- Titanium/Zinc, or Mixed White (large tube)
- Solvent - Gamsol, Turpenoid, or other artist grade odorless mineral spirits and air tight brush washer.
- Paper towels Bags for trash
- Wet canvas carriers
- Wet paint brush holder (accessory to easel)
- Adjustable view finder
- Wet disposable wipes